Monday, April 9, 2012


Site specific? Over thinking this, as I am often accused, I am entangled with wishing to do spectacular art and not knowing how. I think integrating with a site is about 'feeling' site specificity, really going into the site with my own spirit in order to harmonize with the existent. I chose a site in nature  because I feel the most at home in nature settings, they nurture me, though I immediately wanted to hide myself, camouflaged into the scene, in rereading the assignment it seemed that was not what was actually asked for. In my daily life on campus I often feel misplaced, not actually belonging. My natural look seems to be out of place; so I thought to disguise myself as a student, a younger version to fit better. At the same time I continued to explore blending with nature and came up  with the idea that I am already a part of nature. By taking that reality and representing myself as burgeoning nature trying to stay bottled and coming into to man's environment and trying to fit.; man has tried so long to set himself apart and above nature he has had a partial success, so that he  himself has become artificial.
My concept then is to show nature trying to escape from the mask of false humanity while at the same time me, as a construct of nature, is trying to fit in. The concept then is for a mask to hide my natural self while nature, represented by leaves, is emerging around the edges of the mask and clothing. Like a green man donning clothes and a mask. The invisible man, the phantom of the opera, the man behind the mask, and the beast of beauty and the beast all exemplify in different ways. This would best be performed as a part of a class.
Materials; mask, leaves, hat, and some sort of hairnet, oh and glue.

No comments:

Post a Comment